Monday, 22 March 2010

Closet Pyromaniac

With two and a half house fires and a forest fire under my belt (and a few other close shaves besides) my brother (pictured left) had a theory that my subconscious lit a fire when I needed to have a change in direction in my life. Back in 1996, inspired by my most recent room combustion, he wrote this song about me.

Andy has hosted it on his MySpace - it should say by 'Mikey Potter'

www.myspace.com/andykirkham scroll down to:

'Closet Pyromaniac' (the last tune) (It starts quietly)

It give me a warm glow to know I have a song written about me, even if that song suggests a slightly destructive craziness - as portrayed well in the song.

P.S.I love my little brother. He's pretty amazing. Are sister's allowed to say that about brothers or is that counter-culture and akin to boasting? He's gone on to play and sing swing/jazz with many other musicians since.....one such (slightly old now) example is this recording from a live performance in the Chat Noir Club in Brighton.

http://music.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=music.singleplaylist&friendid=119125619

P.P.S. Sorry that none of the links are live. My link inserter does not appear to work any more - even though it did once.

9 comments:

  1. In fact, get yourself down to the Chat Noir Club in Brighton (once a month) for an amazing night. It's like stepping back in time to the 20s/30s. Great dressing up, great bands, great music, great atmosphere, great dancing, and all in a seaside ballroom. Guardian voted it in top 5 clubs of the year. Oh, and the little trilbied guy on the vinyl decks is the brother xxx

    http://www.quirkyguide.com/quirky-england-chat-noir-club.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've got one of those in Norwich, It's called Bo Nanafana, and it's fabulous. including our very own DJ78 who does just that.

    http://www.bonanafana.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you say *closet* pyromaniac?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Typejunky - that looks great!! I want to go. Seems Norwich has everything now then...a self-contained world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire - I know gotta go...

    Mr T - and Mikey's band was hired to play at one of the Bonanafana nights..the only one I have been to.

    Codgi - Yep - it's a secret.

    Claire - of course Norwich has everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, what you are saying is that you only start fires in the closet? Brilliant, it is a small out of the way inconspicuous space, giving an eventual conflaguration a fighting chance of not being discovered until too late.

    Kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Molly P
    The song is brilliant! He really HAS got talent!
    Norwich has everything? Did I miss their promotion?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ken re: promotion, keep watching...

    Which band is it Molly, I've missed two so far, and I haven't been to one you've been at, so I'm guessing I missed them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Eric - you are taking the metaphor into new realms. Steady

    HI Ken D - I think so...he's very creative and a talented musician....he plays much better now - after years of performing. Norwich deson't have a mountain.

    Mr T - I think he was called the lost sock club or something at that point. It was possibly not called Bonanafana then - it was hosted in the upstairs of what used to be St Andrew's Tavern - before it moved.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments......