You are going to be sent to the desert island of Gawaii. It is a beautiful place with sandy beaches, palm trees and freshwater rivers. The sea surrounding it is crystal clear. The days are always sunny and rain only ever falls at night.
On the island there is a cabin for you to live in. Inside, there is a wooden bed, a wooden chair, a bowl for washing, a toothbrush and paste, a bucket, a cup, a plate, a cooking pot, a knife and a spoon. You have a selection of hats, underwear, trousers, tops and footwear to choose from. You also have some basic tools: a saw, a spade, a lighter, some rope, a sharp knife some string, a hammer and nails.
On Gawaii, there are plenty of fruit trees and vegetables that grow in the ground. You could survive just by eating these fruit and vegetables and drinking the water from the rivers.
Before you go to live on Gawaii, you are asked to choose some things from each of the following lists. What do you choose?
Set up before you arrive – you can choose three
• A water system that meant you had a tap in your cabin
• Another room added to the cabin
• A boiler that meant you could have hot water
• A light switch that switches a light on in the cabin and one just outside the cabin.
• A gas ring that meant you can heat food and boil water
• A washing machine for clothes
• A shower
Luxury items to take with - you can choose four
• A mattress
• A pillow
• An armchair
• A rug for the floor
• A tub big enough for you to sit in
• A large table
• A telescope
• A duvet
• A boat
• A hammock
• Pen and paper
• A towel
• A musical instrument
• A clockwork radio
• An umbrella
Regular deliveries - you can choose five. These will be delivered once a week.
• Some meat to cook
• Tea and coffee
• Different herbs and spices